Monday, July 22, 2024

Surround yourself with people who care about you and want you to do better



When I left PwC to run VentureCrowd full time, the head of our largest institutional investor told me I didn’t have what it takes to be the CEO. That crushed me for a long time and served as the most extraordinary fuel for the imposter syndrome I’d been struggling with for years. Most founders I know deal with this very challenge every day.

What I didn’t realise at the time, and I guess he didn't either, is that that one comment would become the single most motivational thing anyone has ever said to me. 

Last year we generated over $6M in revenue at a gross margin of 51%, clocked over $330M in capital raised for over 150+ venture capital, property and private credit deals, and distributed over $23M to investors across a range of funds … and I am absolutely pumped for what is coming this year! 

These days, I surround myself with people who are always prepared to challenge me, because while it's nice to be told you’re doing a good job, it just doesn't help make you better

No comments: